Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Walk down memory lane


(Picture take 9/11/2005)
As David and I patiently wait for the birth of our second son, we can't help but reminisce about Everett's birth and relive the joy and laughter that accompanied it. Since I didn't start blogging until Everett was almost 10 months old and I'm just NOW getting around to writing in his baby book (oh the guilt and shame that comes with that confession!) we have never "documented" some of the entertaining anecdotes that we still find so amusing. Just tonight we shared quite a giggle over one such story.

To set the scene, you should know that I was raised Catholic and had marked this as my religious preference on my hospital admission form. The day after Everett was born I was in my hospital room, quite understandably sleep-deprived and somewhat delirious when I heard a knock at the door. In enters a very pleasant, elderly woman who identified herself as Mary from St. Mark's (my church). She came in to congratulate me on the birth of my son and asked if I'd like to receive communion. I said ok and so she proceeded to ask me to pray with her. As soon as she asked me to join her in the Lord's Prayer and we bowed our heads, I realized my dilemma ... hmmm ... is dilemma even the right word? My mistake? My awkward plight? I had neglected to evaluate the fact that maybe this wasn't quite the right time to welcome this woman into my room or to receive the sacrament of communion. It just so happened that only a few feet to the right side of my hospital bed, behind the small white door that held the small shower and uh toilet, sat my very sweet and also very sleep deprived husband. I could barely control my nervous giggle as I feared that at any moment, maybe even right after "On earth as it is in Heaven" the toilet might flush loudly and my husband walk out. I also worried that my husband might be "sitting" there cursing me for "trapping" him in the bathroom under these very awkward circumstances. I was so relieved when Mary and I finished our prayer, I received communion and she wished me well and exited the room. Almost immediately the toilet flushed and out walked my husband who (thank goodness) did find the humor in the situation. He looked at me and said "Aren’t you glad I fought the urge to say "AMEN" ?!?!?" Oh bless him!



Posted by Picasa

No comments: