I remember getting busted for sneaking out of the house when I was growing up ... however, not when I was only TWO YEARS OLD! I guess it's true that paybacks are hell because I had a terrifying experience this morning, compliments of the "little angel" pictured below.

It was a pretty typical morning. David had just left for work and I was going to take a quick shower before Pryce woke up. Everett had been up for at least 30 minutes and was camped out on the couch watching cartoons. I showered, put on some clothes and then walked into the game room.
It was a pretty typical morning. David had just left for work and I was going to take a quick shower before Pryce woke up. Everett had been up for at least 30 minutes and was camped out on the couch watching cartoons. I showered, put on some clothes and then walked into the game room.
The couch was empty and the door to the garage was cracked open. I went in the garage to find Everett's "time out" stool placed below the garage door button and the garage door open. My heart immediately started pounding and panic swept over me. I started screaming "Everett, Everett" at the top of my lungs. He was nowhere to be seen in the alley, so I ran to the front of the house continuing to scream his name over and over.
I looked down the street that intersects with ours and saw a man making his way towards our street (and my blood curdling screams). He starts pointing down the street the direction from which he came. I ran that way to see Everett at the end of that street walking with a woman in our direction. I must have been in shock, because I can't remember everything that was said. I do know that the woman told me she saw him about to cross the street towards the creek (about two streets away from our home) and that when she asked him where he lived he pointed in the direction away from our house. (Which happens to be the direction to where Baba & Gigi live and where we used to live). I was crying pretty hysterically and Everett looked a bit dazed and also began crying (probably in reaction to seeing me in such a state!) As we turned to walk towards our home, I realized there were a few neighbors outside trying to find out what was going on. One commented on what an "impressive" scream I had! I told her I was glad my past cheer leading experience paid off!
I'm sorry that I didn't think to ask the lady who had kept Everett from getting any further away what her name was or where she lived. Maybe I'll run into her some other time in the neighborhood. I hope so ... I cringe every time I think of what might have happened to my Everett had she not come along. I'd really like to thank her properly. The man who came to my aid did give me his name and contact information. I sent him an email this afternoon to thank him once again. I found his response comforting and amusing so I'm going to share it below.
It was hours before I stopped shaking from the incident. I was tempted to keep the boys home from school, scared to let Everett out of my sight again. After they were dropped off, it was hard to be very productive ... I kept finding myself googling child GPS devices and ID bracelets and books about "don't talk to strangers", etc. I did make a few purchases and will post about them after they arrive.
You can bet that things will change a bit around here ... additional locks, security devices and shower schedules (before David goes to work or after the boys are at school!) to name a few. I think I'll also start using our burglar alarm as a way to keep little people IN the house rather than burglars OUT!
I hope nobody else has to ever experience what I did this morning. It was the most terrifying minute of my life. (Funny to think it really was probably a matter of seconds but it felt like an eternity not knowing where E was plus running through every awful scenario that crossed my mind!)
And now, the email exchange that took place with my newly befriended neighbor .....
Hi Russ,
I’m the hysterical lady you met when looking for my son this morning. I just wanted to say “thanks” again for your part in helping me find Everett. If I hadn’t seen you standing there, I wouldn’t have known which direction to run. I’m also not sure the lady who had him would have heard me (although it seems all my neighbors inside did so I must have been yelling very loudly!!) This morning was the scariest experience of my life. I am still a bit frazzled from it. I’ve spent some time googling ID bracelets and GPS devices!! LOL.
Thanks again and I hope you have a great week!
Julie
Hi Julie,
My pleasure, no doubt about it. I told my wife about it and she could identify with you IN SPADES! She died a thousand deaths when we lost our son John on the Washington DC subway many years ago. You can see a current picture of our "little boy" on http://www.russhicks.com/christmas.htm. He's a jet fighter pilot in the Marine Corps and just returned from Iraq for the third time.
I'm sorry that I didn't think to ask the lady who had kept Everett from getting any further away what her name was or where she lived. Maybe I'll run into her some other time in the neighborhood. I hope so ... I cringe every time I think of what might have happened to my Everett had she not come along. I'd really like to thank her properly. The man who came to my aid did give me his name and contact information. I sent him an email this afternoon to thank him once again. I found his response comforting and amusing so I'm going to share it below.
It was hours before I stopped shaking from the incident. I was tempted to keep the boys home from school, scared to let Everett out of my sight again. After they were dropped off, it was hard to be very productive ... I kept finding myself googling child GPS devices and ID bracelets and books about "don't talk to strangers", etc. I did make a few purchases and will post about them after they arrive.
You can bet that things will change a bit around here ... additional locks, security devices and shower schedules (before David goes to work or after the boys are at school!) to name a few. I think I'll also start using our burglar alarm as a way to keep little people IN the house rather than burglars OUT!
I hope nobody else has to ever experience what I did this morning. It was the most terrifying minute of my life. (Funny to think it really was probably a matter of seconds but it felt like an eternity not knowing where E was plus running through every awful scenario that crossed my mind!)
And now, the email exchange that took place with my newly befriended neighbor .....
Hi Russ,
I’m the hysterical lady you met when looking for my son this morning. I just wanted to say “thanks” again for your part in helping me find Everett. If I hadn’t seen you standing there, I wouldn’t have known which direction to run. I’m also not sure the lady who had him would have heard me (although it seems all my neighbors inside did so I must have been yelling very loudly!!) This morning was the scariest experience of my life. I am still a bit frazzled from it. I’ve spent some time googling ID bracelets and GPS devices!! LOL.
Thanks again and I hope you have a great week!
Julie
Hi Julie,
My pleasure, no doubt about it. I told my wife about it and she could identify with you IN SPADES! She died a thousand deaths when we lost our son John on the Washington DC subway many years ago. You can see a current picture of our "little boy" on http://www.russhicks.com/christmas.htm. He's a jet fighter pilot in the Marine Corps and just returned from Iraq for the third time.
I can just see Everett following in his footsteps - NO FEAR! No doubt it gives mothers gray hairs, but dads think it's really kinda cool to raise a son who's that independent. When we finally (!) caught up with John at the Smithsonian, he was rather put out with us for not simply following him on the train! He actually made friends with some people from Houston on his train. We were separated for maybe half an hour - the longest half hour in my wife's life!
Lessons learned: 1. There are LOTS of nice people in the world - a lot more than there are creeps. 2. Everett may be a LOT more independent that you think he is. And that's a good trait! So dye your gray hair and be proud of him. He's gonna be okay. And so are YOU!
All that being said, I agree with your ID bracelet idea. With technology being what it is today, it makes sense to use it. If they can track pets and stolen cars, they can track missing kids. Just be prepared for a change of personal policy when Everett becomes a teenager. Then you've got a whole NEW set of problems. Been there, done that...!
Good luck! And see you in the neighborhood!
Russ Hicks
Lessons learned: 1. There are LOTS of nice people in the world - a lot more than there are creeps. 2. Everett may be a LOT more independent that you think he is. And that's a good trait! So dye your gray hair and be proud of him. He's gonna be okay. And so are YOU!
All that being said, I agree with your ID bracelet idea. With technology being what it is today, it makes sense to use it. If they can track pets and stolen cars, they can track missing kids. Just be prepared for a change of personal policy when Everett becomes a teenager. Then you've got a whole NEW set of problems. Been there, done that...!
Good luck! And see you in the neighborhood!
Russ Hicks


6 comments:
Hi Julie This is Elizabeth's Mom and Gabriel and Emma's Grandma. I Can so relate to this story and feel your pain (Or should I say shear Terror!)I Lost Elizabeth one time In a crowd of thousands at a downtown city function ( Kellogg's Biggest Breakfast) Never lost her brother Eric but her Brother Anthony did it to us 3 times !!! He was only 2 the first time ( while visiting my Mom) and was missing almost an hour ( Police were called while I ran the neighborhood screaming)By the way the police did not find him he just turned back up we never knew where he had gone.I was just telling Elizabeth that we need to get a childproof locking device for the patio door today. Glad Everett is okay and home safe and sound.
Thanks, Dena. I'm curious to know if Anthony has children of his own now that he has to keep on a leash!! :)
If nothing else, hopefully my post will prompt people to do some additional child-proofing they've been meaning to do but not gotten around to yet!
How terrifying!!! I'm so glad that he is okay! It's a sneaky, curious age.
I'm so glad Everett is okay! How scary!!!!!!!
No the Irony is the one who always got away is now 25 (in 6 days) and Now I can't get him to leave home!!!LOL
Julie, your post left me in tears! E is definitely going to be one adventurous man. I actually just saw a commercial where a woman loses her son at the park and she was holding some kind of tracking device that helped find him. Unfortunately the world doesn't feel as safe as it did when we were kids, but it is good to hear that you have some great neighbors. I'm so glad you are both ok!
Post a Comment